About the Board
Langs Board of Directors
Langs is governed by a board of up to 17 board members who are elected at the Annual General Meeting in June of each year. Governance is the process that the Board uses collectively to meet community needs. It is the Board of Director’s role to govern the organization.
Langs operates under an adaptation of the Balkwill and Associates Governance Model which outlines three levels of responsibility in a non-profit organization: governance, management and service delivery.
The primary purpose and functions for each level are defined:
- Governance: The Board of Directors is responsible for the governance level.
- Management: The Executive Director is responsible for the management level or the day to day operations of the organization.
- Service Delivery: The front line staff, in partnership with volunteers and agencies, provides programs and services to the community.
Becoming a Board Member
- Board members are expected to possess relevant expertise, experience, leadership skills and have an understanding of local health issues, needs and priorities. 9 members are nominated from our community or catchment area, 1 member is from our North Dumfries catchment area, and 7 members are nominated from outside our catchment area. Members are appointed for a three year term, and can renew for an additional 3 year term.
- The Langs AGM Nominating Committee is responsible for reviewing applications for the Langs Board of Directors. If you would like more information on becoming a Langs board member, or to obtain a Board Application Package, please contact Bill Davidson, Langs Executive Director, at 519-653-1470 Ext 236, or Jeanne Dumont, Langs Executive Assistant, at 519-653-1470 ext. 240.
Board Membership Information
Langs Board Meetings
The Langs board meets on the 4th Tuesday of every month from September to June each year from 5pm – 8pm.
Langs Board Standing Committees
Each board member is encouraged to be a member of a minimum of one standing committee or a maximum of two standing committees. Here is a list of the committees:
- Executive Committee: The Executive Committee may act for the Board of Directors, as authorized between meetings or during any period that the Board is not in session. The Executive Committee is composed of Board Chair, Past Chair, Vice Chair, Treasurer and Secretary. Executive Committee Job Description – Sep 2013
- Community Services Committee: Assists with the planning of community services programs and services at Langs. Community Services Committee Terms of Reference – 2010
- Annual General Meeting Nominating Committee: Recruits new board members and plans the Annual General Meeting. AGM Nominating Committee Job Description – Jan 2010
- North Dumfries Advisory Committee: Assists with the planning of programs and services at the North Dumfries Community Health Centre Satellite.North Dumfries CHC Satellite Advisory Committee TOR
- Finance and Sustainability Committee: Advises on matters pertaining to the organization’s financial responsibilities and sustainability – Finance and Sustainability Committee TOR
- Chair’s Innovation Council Committee: Promotes the mission and vision of the organization. Chair’s Innovation Council TOR
Langs By-Law No 1